Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Going Green

A few weeks ago I went on a little field trip with the ECO club (Environmental Cooperation Organization). We visited a store on 222 Bowery St. in lower Manhattan called Green Depot. It was founded in 2005 and its goal is mainly environmental living and building. Anyways, just thought I would mention the store because they do have some cool stuff thats also good for the environment and you... your pockets, not so much =[ It all depends on what you buy. Some items are pretty affordable especially since they are "green" products.

For example, they sell cleaning supplies developed by their own line. These suppplies are free of harsh chemicals and toxins, are plant derived and biodegradeable. The also come in reuseable 32oz. spray containers. What's great too is that they have this cleaning solution tap thing they invented, sort of like a beer tap/soda fountain. When you are finished with your products, you can bring the empty bottles back to the store and have them refilled. You also get a discounted price for refilling bottles rather than purchasing new ones.

Some of their pricier items may be air filtration sytems, which can run up to $500. The store sells all sorts of items ranging from counter tops to insulation for your walls (made from recycled denim). They have a whole wall of paint products from exterior to interior paint jobs. They also have some cool, fun items such as pencils made of recycled news paper (no more wood), tumblers/cups made from recycled wine/glass bottles, and wallets made from recycled materials. They also carry a whole line of baby products such as cribs, blankets, bottles, and clothing. You name it, they probably have it. And remember, everything is "green." They also try and sell items that focus on Air Quality, conservation, Local businesses, Energy, and Responsibility.

P.S. - my favorite item was their homemade soda maching thingy. it uses tap water and you hook it up to your sink or whatever. you need the tank of carbon dioxide (i think?) and it carbonates your water. you can add your own flavors or just go for seltzer. they also had a boxed set of little powder packets that are supposed to make your bottled water fizzy like soda. I also liked their fruit and vegetable sprays which should wash off pesticides etc. I might go back and get those because I can't find them anywhere else and i know it exists.

anyways, Check it out:

http://www.greendepot.com

2 comments:

  1. I will have to check it out. I love that they have a website. I want to go green but the stuff are too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea i agree. though somtimes the prices are pretty much the same or just a few cents more. that makes it alot easier.

    ReplyDelete