Sunday, November 8, 2009

Best Buddies

So, I hate when I tell people that I am in a club called Best Buddies, everyone starts laughing and says something stupid. And then after I explain what it is, they don't have anything to say.

So anyways, Best Buddies is an international non-profit that helps to build one-to-one friendships with people living with intellectual disabilities. This program is in 42 countries and 6 continents. It was started by Anthony Kennedy Shriver (Eunice Kennedy Shriver's son) in 1989.

http://www.bestbuddies.org/best-buddies

Some of the programs are Best Buddies Colleges, High schools, middle schools, jobs, and e-buddies. Baruch College is part of Best Buddies Colleges and college students who join are paired with a buddy. There are some basic requirements and most people seem to be thrown off when they hear them, but they really aren't that bad. When you are paired up with a buddy, you mainly want to become their friend and do things that friends normally do. Call them maybe 2 or 3 times a week and hangout with them at least 2x a month. We also know that everyone at Baruch seems to be really busy so we hold one Chapter Event a month during club hours on Thursday where everyone, college buddies and the buddies get together. We count this event as 1 of the 2 times for meeting up so technically it's only 1 other time outside of school. And you can meet up to do anything. Like I said, you're trying to build a normal friendship so you can do whatever you would normally do with your other friends such as shopping, a walk in the park, movies, or just getting coffee.

So, as much as this may sound like you are trying to make a difference in these individual's lives, they really are impacting yours. I mean, when we see such individuals on the street we normally try and stay away or don't want to be bothered etc. But when you actually get to talk and listen to them, you see a little bit into their world. You can see how the littlest things that wouldn't mean much to others (such as a phone call or a birthday card), just brighten their day. Well, I hope I've been able to tell at least a few of you a little bit more about this club. You can find us on Facebook: Best Buddies Baruch with pictures of previous events if interested.

2 comments:

  1. How were you introduced to Best Buddies and what were your motivations to sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your doing something great ....... I have never really dedicated myself to something like that, anytime I want to do things like that my family and friends tell me to help my self first in order to help others later.

    ReplyDelete