Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Advice to Baruch College
If hired by Baruch to improve the college using new media, I would suggest a wiki addition to each class, in addition to Blackboard. I think a class Wiki would be useful. Professors could use it as a tool to teach as well as a tool to disseminate information. A wiki can be a teaching tool by having students research and incorporate class content to the site. Students can cross check each other while the Professor can review and point out any corrections. Deadlines can be kept for certain assignments while others can be left to students to complete at will, as long as it is before the end of the semester. This may encourage learning if students can complete assignments at their own pace due to varying schedules. Professors could also use this wiki to post up certain information. For example, a Professor could start an assignment by first posting some information on the topic. The class could then sign on to read this information and complete the remainder of the assignment on their own. I don't think a class wiki should replace Blackboard though. For example, the "My Grades" tool in Blackboard is important and cannot be replaced by posting grades on a wiki.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yup. Using the wiki for this class was really helpful and I'm sure it would be beneficial to other classes as well.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea about the wikis and I posed the same solution. Except rather than using wikis as a compliment to Blackboard, I believe it should replace Blackboard. The site is just to troublesome and is always under construction.
ReplyDeleteHmm. I just realized that Wiki is albe to have a numerous mistakes in their information because we are not professional. Someone who is professional should monitor Wiki.
ReplyDelete