Thursday, December 3, 2009

Volunteers anyone?


Ok, so I know I already mentioned Sue Rock with my blog presentation but I had planned to do a blog post on her when we were first given this assignment so I'll just briefly say a bit more now.

So, Sue Rock Originals Everyone (SROE) collects donated materials such as yarn, fabrics, knitting/crochet tools and pairs these items with volunteers who turn the raw materials into finished goods (clothing, accessories). These items are then donated to victims of domestic violence.

I was looking to volunteer and do something I really enjoyed and through Goodsearch.com http://www.goodsearch.com I found this non-profit. The most appealing part to me was the flexibility I would have with time and the choices in items to make. Volunteers pick up yarn and materials and can then do everything from home (or on the train or whenever else you have time). When you are finished with your projects, you take them back to her. She really doesn't have a set deadline and you can do everything at your own pace (ex: beginners may take longer than veterans). You also get to be as creative as you want and can make hat and scarf sets, sweaters, tank tops, socks, bags, and even hair accessories. Of course, it all depends on what you know how to make. She makes donations 2x a year, once in October during Domestic Violence Awareness month and again in May for Mother's Day.

I finger knit (done with hands only and no knitting needles) the scarf in the photo. I learned the technique on Youtube.com which is also where I learned to crochet. I thought it was cute and wanted to try it out, maybe for a child or something. I'll probably blog about that another day.

So, if anyone is interested in volunteering, let me know. Or if you know others who knit/crochet or sew and have the time for this, spread the word. =] Her blog can be found at: www.suerockoriginals.blogspot.com

www.Goodsearch.com allows you to pick any charity or school and for each search you process, they donate 1 cent to your charity of choice. You can also register your non-profit or school with them and start raising money for your own cause.

does anyone know how to get the hyperlinks to work? please? Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. First of all that you did that scarf with your bare hands is amazing!And I would volunteer but I barely know how to sew. Btw, with the hyperlinks you have an option when you're writing your post that says "Link", you have to press that and shadow the word that you want to attach a link to and it'll give the space to put in the url so that when you're done the word is highlighted in blue and can lead to the website you want. I hope that helps. Now if only I knew how to put up videos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is amazing that knitted that with you hands. I used to know how to knit but I stopped practicing a long time ago. This sounds amazing though so imma tell my "sis in law". She used to knit I don't know if she does it anymore. And I loved how you learned through youtube. I absolutely youtube everything :-)

    ReplyDelete